LEVOCA

Image from page 743
Image from page 743
LEVOCA - Piazza centrale con la chiesa di S. Giacomo e Palazzo comunale (sec. XIV).
LEVOCA - Piazza centrale con la chiesa di S. Giacomo e Palazzo comunale (sec. XIV).

G. V. ARAD. Die Priesterschrift im Hexateuch, literarisch untersucht und theologisch geertert, Stuttgart 1934; F. X. Kortleitner, Quo tempore Codex Sacerdotalis exstititur?, Innsbruck 1935; R. Dussaud, Das Shanna (Ugarit) et l'Ancien Testament, Paris 1936, pp. 109-13; F. Dornseiff, Antikes zum Alt. Test. 3. Levitikon, Arithmoi, in Zeitschr. für altest. Wissenschaft, 14 (1937), pp. 127-36; A. Zanolli, Di una vetusta catena sul L. perduta in greco e convertita in armeno, Venice 1938; W. J. de Wilde, Het offer - aangenaam om te verzoenen (Lev. 1-Lc. 2), in Nieuw theologische studien, 22 (1939), pp. 192-99; E. Robertson, The Priestly Code: the legislation of the Old Test. and Graf-Wellhausen, in Bull. of the John Rylands library, 26 (1941-42), pp. 369-92; R. de Vaux, La cachette des manuscrits hébreux, in Rev. bibl., 56 (1949), p. 235; id., La grotte des manuscrits hébreux, ibid., pp. 597-602, pl. XVIII.

LEVOČA - Town in Slovakia, founded in 1245 and centre of a German colony. The old centre of the Spiš county (Scepus), it now represents a town of historical interest (well-preserved walls, ancient houses, museums, fine town hall of 1615).

For the history of sacred art, the following are important: 1) the parish church of St James from the 14th century. More valuable than its Gothic architecture are the wooden altars, especially the high altar by the master Paul of Levoča. 2) The church formerly of the Minorites, then of the Jesuits, from the 14th century, Gothic in architecture but with an 18th-century Baroque interior. Beside it the ancient Gothic convent is preserved, with precious 15th-century frescoes recently discovered. 3) The Minorites’ church of 1715 is also Baroque.

In the religious life of Slovakia, Levoča is important as a place of great pilgrimages to the sanctuary of Our Lady on Mariánska Hill, where in the large Neo-Gothic church (1903-14) a miraculous statue of the Madonna from the 15th century, in Gothic style, is venerated. The most memorable festival was on 2 July 1947, when, in the presence of 130,000 pilgrims, the bishop of Spiš consecrated his diocese to the Heart of Mary.

BIBL.: J. Špirko, Umelček pamiatky na Spiš (The monuments of art in Spiš), Sp. Kapitula 1936, passim; J. Vencko, Z dejín okolia spišského hradu (History of the Spiš castle and its surroundings), Sp. Podhradie 1941, pp. 334-42; R. Jurík, Marianska hora v Levoči (Mariánska Hill in Levoča), Levoča 1948.