LUIGINE OF ALBA. - The Sisters of St Louis were founded at La Morra, in the diocese of Alba, in 1815 by Fr G. B. Rubino, a local priest, and canonically erected on 30 July 1819 by Abp G. A. Nicola, bishop of Alba; they were recognised by the civil authorities on 24 November 1826 by King Charles Felix. Around 1870 they split into two independent groups, one at Alba and the other at Acqui, which were later reunited with the approval of the Sacred Congregation of Religious in 1938. The decree of praise, with temporary approval of the Constitutions, was issued on 29 April 1948.
The special purpose of the Institute is the instruction and Christian education of youth in kindergartens and elementary schools, and the care of the sick in hospitals and similar institutions. The Sisters also run Sunday schools, women’s associations, workshops, etc., and prepare children for First Communion.
In 1948 the Sisters, who form a single category under simple vows, numbered 166, with 5 novices. The motherhouse is at Alba. There were 42 houses, generally situated in rural localities.