CERNĂUȚI (Czernowitz). — First mentioned in 1408 as a modest village situated on the Prut, in southern Galicia (Poland). When, in 1775, this territory was annexed to Austria, C. was declared the capital of Bucovina. From this moment began the development of C. The only Orthodox bishop of the Romanian rite in the Bucovinian territory, with his see at Rădăuți (Radauți), transferred to the new capital; the grand cathedral was built in 1864 and the exposition in 1875. In 1873 the see was elevated to a metropolitanate for all Romanian Orthodox in Austria. In 1875 the university was founded. In 1918 Bucovina passed under Romania and C. became the chief town of a department. In 1928 it had 120,000 inhabitants. After the Second World War it was annexed to the Soviet Republic of Moldavia (Ukraine).
CERNÁUTI (CZERNOWITZ)
Bibl.: A. Fortescue, The Orthodox Eastern Church, London 1907, p. 323 sq.; R. Kandl, Geschichte von Csernovits von den ältesten Zeiten bis zur Gegenwart, Czernowitz 1908.