HAJDUDOROGH

HAJDUDOROGH. — A large village in the northeast of the Hungarian plain, where in 1873 the Ruthenian bishop of Mukachevo established an episcopal vicariate for that Ruthenian population which had descended from Podcarpaia and had become Magyarized. The part of the Eastern liturgy sung by the people had been translated into Hungarian, and in 1900 it had even been requested of Leo XIII to adopt Hungarian as the liturgical language. In 1912, at the personal request of Francis Joseph to Pius X, H. was erected as a diocese, the only Hungarian diocese of Byzantine rite, with parishes detached not only from the Ruthenian dioceses of Prjasev (8) and Mukachevo (70), but also (83) from three Romanian dioceses (Byzantine-Romanian rite) of Transylvania, still Hungarian.

The assignment of 72,000 Romanian faithful to a Magyarized diocese caused great commotion in Transylvania and Romania, and even the cry of "Los von Rom!" was heard. However, the moderating stance of political figures such as Al. Cuzza and Nicolae Iorga was noted. The agitation subsided during the war.

In 1919 all the Romanian parishes returned to their own dioceses. The planned use of Greek in the liturgy was not implemented. In the 1918 Annuario, the faithful numbered 217,640; in 1932 (and 1926: Janin), they were 142,000, with 106 priests.

BIBL.: Statistica con cenni storici della gerarchia e dei fedeli di rito orientale, Città del Vaticano 1932, pp. 221-27; J. Georgescu, La presse périodique en Roumanie, Oradea 1936, pp. 76-92. Federico Tailliez