KAISERCHRONIK

KAISERCHRONIK. – A German historical poem of about 17,000 verses, composed around the middle of the 12th century.

It recounts the history of the emperors from Julius Caesar to Conrad III of Swabia (1147); a 13th-century reworking extends the narrative to Rudolph of Habsburg (1276).

The author, identified by some with the prelate Konrad, poet of the *Rolandlied* in the French style, remains unknown; he was certainly a high-ranking official at the court of Ratisbon of Henry the Lion, Duke of Bavaria. Alongside historical information—largely derived from Latin sources—the chronicle incorporates many legends from German tradition, weaving them into the lives of the emperors, for whom Charlemagne serves as the ideal model. The work is pervaded by a religious sentiment that seeks to merge Christian ethics with the new ideal of culture and glorifies as ‘truth,’ both in history and in fable, all that reveals the presence of divine law. This sentiment also finds expression in the aspiration for a Christian empire as a mystical community and a union of spiritual and temporal power. The prominent role given to papal affairs reflects the influence that, after the Investiture Controversy, the Church had assumed in political life. A critical edition of the poem was prepared by E. Schröder in *MGH, Deutsche Chroniken*, I, pp. 1–44.

Bibl.: C. Rohrscheidt, *K. Götting*, 1907; R. G. Grossley, *Die K.*, Freiburg im Br. 1935. For further bibliographical references cf. J. Körner, *Bibliographisches Handbuch des Deutschen Schrifttums*, Bern 1949, p. 94.

Article illustration

---

KAKOWSKI, Alexander. – Cardinal, born in Dembica, diocese of Plock, in Poland, on 5 February 1862, died in Warsaw on 30 December 1938.

After completing his studies in Rome, he became rector of the archiepiscopal seminary in Warsaw and later rector of the ecclesiastical academy in St. Petersburg, before being elected metropolitan archbishop of Warsaw on 2 May 1913. A distinguished pastor, he was created cardinal priest with the title of S. Agostino by Benedict XV on 15 December 1919; in the same year, he consecrated Bishop Achille Ratti, the future Pius XI, who was then apostolic nuncio in Poland.

A good patriot as well as a most pious priest, after the proclamation of the Kingdom of Poland during the First World War, he served on the Regency Council (1917–18). At his death, he requested to be buried among the poor in the Brudno cemetery in Warsaw. Witold Wehr

---

KALBERMATT, Wilhelm. – Pontifical general, born in Brig in the Valais (Switzerland) on 15 November 1793, died in Rome on 15 December 1875. Called by Pius IX in 1850 to reorganize the two regiments of foreign infantry, he entered the service of the Holy See on 17 June with the rank of brigadier general.

From 1854 onward, he commanded the territorial division of Bologna and in June 1859 prevented the spread of revolutionary disturbances, which had broken out in the Legations, to the Marches and Umbria. Distinguished during the campaign of 1860 as commander of military subdivisions, in 1865 he was appointed by General Kanzler to the general inspectorate of all troops and also served as an advisor to the Ministry of Arms. After 20 September 1870, he retired to private life, dedicating himself to charitable works in support of former papal soldiers.

Bibl.: G. Del Bono, *Bologna e le Romagne durante la guerra del 1859*, in *Memorie storiche militari*, 4 (1911), pp. 218–20; Vigevano, *La fine dell’esercito pontificio*, Rome 1920, passim; id., *La campagna delle Marche e dell’Umbria*, 1913, passim; Dalla Torre, *L’anno di Mentana*, Turin 1938, passim. Paolo Dalla Torre

---

KALVELLA: V. Finland. IV, Literature.

KAMI: V. Shinto.

---

KAMIENIEC, Diocese of. – In Podolia (southwestern Soviet Russia). A diocese since c. 1370. Administered between 1866 and 1918 by the bishop of Luck, it was separated on 22 September 1918 and is suffragan to Mohilev. In 1926 an apostolic administrator was consecrated, who was imprisoned in 1930 and then exiled in 1932. Today the see is vacant, and the faithful are without pastors.

Bibl.: *Annuario Pontificio*, 1951, pp. 226–27. Guglielmo de Vries

---

KAMLOOPS, Diocese of. – A city and diocese in south-central British Columbia, Canada. The first priest to arrive there in 1842 was the Rev. Modeste Demers, a French-Canadian. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate followed and ministered to the faithful before establishing themselves permanently.

The diocese of Kamloops was erected by Pius XII on 22 December 1945 through the apostolic constitution *Quae rei sacrae*, carved out of the archdiocese of Vancouver, of which it is suffragan. It comprises ten parishes with a population of 4,500 Canadians and 4,300 Indigenous people, out of a total population of 55,000. The clergy includes 9 diocesan priests, 3 Redemptorists, and 10 Oblates of Mary Immaculate; the latter have charge of the Indigenous population. The diocese also has 39 sisters, mostly from the Congregation of the Sisters of Ste Anne, whose motherhouse is in Montreal.

Bibl.: A. G. Morice, *Histoire de l’Église catholique dans l’Ouest canadien*, III, Montreal 1912, V. index; *Le Canada ecclésiastique*, 1915, pp. 623–28. Germano Lesage

---

KAMPALA, Apostolic Vicariate of. – Entrusted to the Society of St. Joseph of Mill Hill for Foreign Missions, it is located in the Uganda Protectorate (British East Africa), in the south-southwest portion of the former Upper Nile Vicariate, from which it was separated on 10 June 1948.

While the north-northeast part of the territory continued to be called the Apostolic Vicariate of the Upper Nile, the south-southwest portion took the name of the Apostolic Vicariate of Kampala, from the city that, together with the adjacent mission station of Nsambya, forms a single entity and represents the center from which the Mill Hill Society, since its first arrival in that region of Africa, spread Catholicism. The vicariate of Kampala includes a portion of the Kingdom of Buganda, namely part of the Mengo civil district, and the Busoga civil district. It is inhabited by the Baganda and Basoga tribes, who speak Luganda. It covers an area of 16,226 sq km and, according to 1947 statistics, has a population of over 700,000, of whom more than 10,000 are Catholic, 90,000 Protestant, 40,000 Muslim, and about 470,000 pagan. There are 9 indigenous priests. Foreign missionaries include 50 priests and 5 lay brothers, while foreign sisters number 63 and indigenous sisters 85. There are 15 mission stations, about 340 teachers, and 79 schools. There is a minor seminary with 45 students and a major seminary with 47.

Bibl.: *AAS*, 40 (1948), pp. 532–33; *Arch. della S. Congr. di Prop. Fide*, p.n. 25, 1948, pos. prot. 1848/48. Carlo Corvo

---

KANCHOW, Diocese of. – In China, in the southern part of Kiangsi. Erected as an apostolic vicariate on 25 August 1920 by division of the apostolic vicariate of Southern Kiangsi (now Kian, q.v.), it remained entrusted, like its mother mission, to the Congregation of the Mission, which sends Lazarists from its eastern American province. On 11 April 1946, with the establishment of the episcopal hierarchy in China, it was elevated to a diocese and made suffragan to Nanchang.

It covers an area of 38,609 sq km; as of 30 June 1948, out of a population of about 2,000,000, the Catholics numbered

There were 15,681 Catholics and 72 catechumens. In addition to the bishop, there were 18 Lazarist priests, of whom 11 were American, and 16 Chinese secular priests; 6 students were studying at the local minor seminary and 1 at the major seminary of Kian. Among the auxiliary staff there were 30 Chinese nuns and 6 American nuns; 38 catechists, 53 teachers, 21 baptizers, 4 doctors, and 39 nurses. The territory, divided into 4 districts, had 18 primary stations and 220 secondary ones, 14 churches, and 43 chapels. The works included 2 hospitals with 84 beds, 12 medical dispensaries, 1 orphanage with 365 residents, and 2 homes for the elderly with 24 residents. The 9 elementary schools enrolled 1,008 children, the 2 vocational schools had 47 pupils, and the 23 prayer and elementary schools had 481 listeners.

The Christian origins of this territory are shared with those of the entire civil province of Kiangsi and, in particular, with those of the Kian Mother Mission (v.). Around the mid-18th century, the region of K. was visited by Franciscans, Dominicans, and Jesuits. Fr. Giacomo Le Favre, S.J., built a church in K.

Article illustration
Kandy - Seminary.