ORLÉANSVILLE

ORLÉANSVILLE. – In Algeria, on the site of the ancient Castellum Tingitanum. The names of some of its bishops are known, such as Marino in 324, attested by an inscription; Cereale in 431, mentioned by Isidore of Seville; Voconio or Boconio c. 1460, cited by Gennadius; Reparato (460-75), whose epitaph is known; Pietro c. 484. Severino was a Donatist bishop c. 411.

In 1843 the basilica of Bishop Reparato (d. 26 Oct. 456) was discovered, with side entrances to the hall, divided into five naves by pillars with an elevated apse and another apse opposite, in which it is believed a baptistery was located. The floor was paved with mosaics bearing inscriptions, one of which indicated the start of construction on 21 Nov. 324 (CIL, VIII, 9708); another bore the wish: *semper pax* (ibid., 9712); a third, in a labyrinth, read: *Sancta ecclesia* (ibid., 9710); a play on letters formed the inscription *Marinus sacerdos* (ibid., 9711). The mosaic epitaph of Bishop Reparato was later inserted there. To the northeast of O. at the site of Beni-Rached, in 1913 a large mosaic pavement (m. 9.40 x 5.70) was found, featuring a central laurel wreath with a votive inscription by the donors, Floro and Matrona with their children, and the wish: *ut cum clero tuo floreas ut hoc feret Deus iussit*. To the southwest of this dedication appears a second laurel wreath in mosaic with the inscription *« Pax aeciesiae catholicae semper »*, which refers to the period of the struggle against Donatism at the close of the 4th century; the first inscription suggests that there may also have been a episcopal see at Beni-Rached at that time (J. Carcopino, *Note relative à une inscription chrétienne découverte près d'O.*, in *Comptes rendus de l'Acad. des. inscr. et belles lettres* ... [1913], pp. 633-66). Three km from O. a Christian hypogeum with tombs decorated with mosaics and inscriptions dated to the years 468 and 474 was found (CIL, VIII, 9713). In 1850, the bronze lampstand in the shape of a basilica was discovered there; it later passed into the collection of A. Basilewsky and is now in the *Musée de l'Ermitage* in Leningrad (reproduced under the heading AFRICA, vol. I, col. 414).

Among other inscriptions, two fragments of bricks from a chapel on the banks of the Cheli, now in the Algiers Museum, recall a *memoria apostolorum Petri et Pauli* and end with the expression *iubente Deo et Christo*, from the late 4th or 5th century (CIL, VIII, no. 9714); the marble epitaph of the son of the tribune Fuscius, who died in 406 and was buried near a *memoria* of the same apostles *« aput sanctos Apostolos Petru et Paulu in nomine Dei et Cristi »* (ibid., no. 9715).

BIBL.: S. Gsell, *Monuments antiques de l'Algérie*, II. Paris 1901, pp. 108 seq.; 241 seq.; id., *Atlas archéologique de l'Algérie*, IV. Paris 1911, folio 12, pp. 9-10; J. Mesnage, *L'Afrique chrétienne*, IV. Paris 1912, pp. 463-64; P. Monceaux, *Notes sur des découvertes faites dans la basilique des Beni-Rached*, in *Comptes rendus de l'Acad. des inscr. et belles lettres*, 1914, pp. 124-26; H. Leclercq, s.V. in *DACL*, XII, II, cols. 2719-35. Enrico Josi