BAYMA, GIUSEPPE

Image from page 637
Image from page 637

BAYMA, GIUSEPPE. - Theologian and scientist, b. at Chieri on 9 Nov. 1816, d. at Santa Clara on 7 Feb. 1892. He entered the Society of Jesus in 1832 and immediately distinguished himself for his aptitude in the exact sciences. Expelled from Piedmont with his brethren, he took refuge in the Papal States, at Bertinoro, where he was warmly received by Bishop G. B. Guerra, who entrusted him with the direction of the seminary (1853-1860). Having gone to England, he moved to the United States in 1868 and there served as rector of the college of San Francisco and later as professor at Santa Clara in California.

Extremely active and of versatile intellect, in England and America he distinguished himself through many writings of a philosophical, physical, and mathematical nature in which, while showing respect for St. Thomas, he approached the cosmological theories of Fr. Boscovich. He is chiefly known for a singular theory on transubstantiation, advanced as a mere hypothesis in *The Catholic World* of 1873-75, but immediately declared “intolerable” by the Holy Office with a decree of 7 July 1875 (cf. Denz.-U., nn. 1843-46). He also wrote a small but valuable ascetical booklet: *De studio religiosa perfectionis excitando, agendo et conservando*, Rome 1851, which was reprinted several times.

---

**BAYEUX** - Apse of the Cathedral (13th-14th c.).

The arcades of the central nave feature panels that reflect an Anglo-Saxon or Oriental inspiration, as do the pillars and ogives of the side aisles and the southern portico. The ambulatory around the choir leads to nine radiating chapels; the upper level of the nave and the transept are later additions (13th-14th c.). The surviving frescoes date from the 14th c., and the chapter house (13th-14th c.) contains a notable treasury of liturgical manuscripts. In the episcopal palace is preserved a wool-on-canvas tapestry of Queen Matilda (1077), depicting the Norman Conquest of England.

The diocese once included twelve male abbeys, among them five Benedictine houses (the oldest being that of St. Vigore at Cerizy-la-Forêt); two abbeys and five conventual houses for women.

Since 1855 the bishop has also been titular of the diocese of Lisieux (q.v.).

At present the diocese of B. has 380,000 Catholics out of a total population of 396,318, 718 parishes, 748 diocesan priests, and 50 regular clergy (1948). It is divided into two archdeaconries: the 1st of B., comprising the city of Caen (q.v.), the most important center of the diocese; and the 2nd of Lisieux. It has a major seminary at B. and the minor seminary of La Maladrerie at Caen.

**

BIBL.:** L. Duchesne, *Les fastes épiscopaux de l’ancienne Gaule*, II, 2nd ed., Paris 1910, pp. 212-22; P. Calendini, s.V. in DHG, VIII, cols. 25-40.