COLLEGIO BRIGNOLE SALE NEGRONE

COLLEGE OF BRIGNOLE SALE NEGRONE

It was founded in 1852 by Marquis Antonio Brignole Sale together with his wife Artemisia Negrone, with the aim of educating in sacred studies some young men chosen from various dioceses of Italy and France for the propagation of Christian civilization in pagan regions.

The college is located in Genoa and is directed by the Lazarists. It imparts only theological instruction, after which the students are made available to the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda Fide or to the Order of the diocese from which they originally depended. From its inauguration (1855) to the present (1949), the college has sent approximately 600 priests to the missions, most of whom were destined for Palestine, Canada, Australia, China, Ceylon, and the United States of America.

BIBL.: Anon., C. B. S. N., Genoa 1855; Annuario del c., ibid. (1937); Arch. di Prop. Fide, Relazione annuale, p. 1, n. prot. 1679/49.