CORO, Diocese of. — In the Republic of Venezuela. Erected by Pius XI on 10 Oct. 1922, this diocese had previously been erected for the first time by Clement VII on 21 June 1531, with the bull *Pro excellenti praeeminentia*, and was the first episcopal see in Venezuela. It had a series of 12 bishops until 7 March 1683, when, in execution of the royal decree of 20 June 1637, the episcopal see was canonically transferred to Caracas.
The present diocese of Coro comprises the State of Falcón, which was detached from the diocese of Barquisimeto, and covers 24,800 sq. km. Out of a population of 24,800, the number of Catholics is 245,580, divided into 20 parishes, served by 13 diocesan priests and 15 religious (1948). A fair number of young men are educated in the minor seminary, while students of theology and philosophy are sent to the major seminary in Caracas.
In Coro are found some of the most important religious monuments in Venezuela. The cathedral, dedicated to St Anne, is the oldest church in the nation; particular note should also be made of the episcopal palace and the Franciscan convent. In the square of St Clement stands a cross made from the wood of the “vera” tree (*guaiacum arborem*), beneath which the first Mass on Venezuelan soil was celebrated.
**
