LIVINHAC, LÉON

Image from page 876
Image from page 876
Image from page 876
Image from page 876

LIVINHAC, Léon. - Born on 13 July 1846, he entered the Society of the Missionaries of Africa (Padri Bianchi) in 1873. Five years later, in 1878, he departed from Marseille at the head of the first Missionaries of Africa expedition for the missions of Equatorial Africa.

LIVORNO, Diocese of - Cathedral, architecture by A. Pieroni (1581-95). The façade is by R. Cantagliana; the bell tower dates to 1817.

existing ones, so that it might become the new parish church. And indeed it became so in 1605, when the clergy transferred there from S. Antonio, adding to S. Francesco the old and cherished title of S. Maria e Giulia. Urban VIII elevated the parish church to a distinguished collegiate church with a bull dated 31 July 1620, but the first six canons and the provost, appointed by the sovereign, took possession only on 23 January 1632.

L. soon became a flourishing city of commerce and trade, partly thanks to having granted privileges, facilities, and hospitality to people of other nationalities, religious, and even those of Eastern rites, whether Catholic or schismatic, granting them their own quarters, churches, and cemeteries. The community had repeatedly requested a bishop, or at least that the Archbishop of Pisa take the title of Bishop of L., but this was not granted. However, the provost was accorded certain privileges so that, in ceremonial functions, he would not be outshone, as it were, by officials of other cults and rites. Thus, besides being a domestic prelate, he was granted the use of pontificals (privileges retained until 3 May 1949, when, with the removal of the care of souls from the provost of the cathedral chapter, he was reduced to the rank of domestic prelate). Finally, the diocese was established by a bull of Pius VII on 25 September 1806, comprising the city with the then parish church and six vice-parishes, along with six other parishes, covering an area of 290 square kilometers. The first bishop was Msgr. Filippo Ganucci.

Various popes visited and stayed in this city, especially during their travels, particularly to France. Among them are remembered: Innocent II, Alexander III, Urban V, Gregory XI, Urban VI, Eugenius IV, Adrian VI, Clement VII, Pius VII, and Pius IX.
Among the Livornese worthy of remembrance are: Msgr. Girolamo Gavi (1775-1869), who, as provost of the city and elected bishop with the title of Milito, remained for 21 years as apostolic administrator and provost of L., devoting the revenues, savings, and his own patrimony to charitable works and the construction of the seminary, which is named after him, "Gavi"; and Pio Alberto Del Corona, a Dominican, distinguished writer and preacher, bishop of S. Miniato and later titular archbishop of Sardica (1873-1912).

L. did not possess great works of art, and even what was noteworthy, though not of the highest quality, was damaged by the bombings (170), which particularly struck sacred buildings. Nevertheless, the following remain: the Sanctuary of Montenero and, once repaired, the churches of S. Ferdinando, S. Giovanni, S. Caterina, S. Sebastiano, the Madonna, all of some architectural value internally, and the Cathedral, now a national monument.

SANCTUARY OF THE MADONNA OF MONTENERO. — The most notable event and one that continues to hold significance is the discovery, on 15 May 1345, by a pious shepherd near the stream and locality of Ardenza, of a fine painting depicting the Madonna and Child. The blessed Virgin is said to have told the old man, who was healed of his lameness, to carry her image to Montenero, where she desired a sanctuary dedicated to her to be built.

Immediate and widespread devotion arose toward this Madonna of Graces, known as of Montenero, not only among the Livornese but also in nearby cities and populations, so much so that on 15 May 1947, Pius XII declared her patroness of all Tuscany. The present artistic sanctuary, rich in marbles and fine works, may be dated to the 18th century. It was elevated to the status of a basilica in 1818. It is entrusted to the Vallombrosan monks. L., which has always obtained so many graces and protection from its Madonna, on 27 January 1742 (the feast of the Vow), having been spared from an earthquake and tidal wave, made a vow (which it still keeps) to delay Carnival until that date, to fast on that day, to offer 100 pounds of wax to the sanctuary at the city’s expense, and to hold an annual solemn thanksgiving ceremony.

- See pl. XCIX.
-

BIBL.: N. Magri, Discorso cronologico sull'origine di L. sino al nostro tempo, Naples 1647; A. Santelli, Origine di L. in Toscana, Livorno 1770; G. Targioni-Tozzetti, Viaggi in Toscana, ibid. 1768; C. Tesi, L. dalla sua origine fino ai nostri tempi, ibid. 1865; G. Piombanti, Guida storia ed artistica della città e dei dintorni di L., ibid. 1903; Ann. eccles. livornese 1951, ibid. 1951.
- Giuseppe Spaggiari
- LIVRADE, saint: V. LIBERTA, saint.
- LUBLJANA: V. LJUBLJANA.