Diocese of Campagna
In the province of Salerno, Campagna rises on the southern slopes of the Monti Picentini, in a gorge traversed by the Tenza. Its historical importance dates back to the time of Greek civilization; abandoned in ancient times, it is said that the present city was built by inhabitants of the banks of the Sele who, harassed by the Saracens, would have taken refuge in this locality. On 19 June 1525, at the request of Charles V, Clement VII with the bull *Pro Excellentia* elevated the collegiate church of Santa Maria della Pace in Campagna to a cathedral, thus creating the episcopal see which was united «aeque et principaliter» to Satriano, which had fallen into ruin and in whose territory Campagna stood. Its first prelate was the Dominican Cherubino Gaetano, bishop of Satriano from 1521 and who died in 1545.
In the 17th century the diocese was a suffragan of Salerno. In 1818 the diocese of Satriano was suppressed and Campagna passed into perpetual administration to Conza, from which it was separated on 30 September 1921.
Among the most important churches are the Santissima Trinità, San Salvatore and San Bartolomeo. In the territory of the diocese are the abbey of San Cataldo, founded around 1160 by Romualdo II, archbishop of Salerno, and the Benedictine abbey of Santa Maria Nuova.
The diocese, immediately subject to the Holy See, comprises a few municipalities in the province of Potenza and the rest in that of Salerno, covering an area of 96 km²; it has 28 parishes, 49 diocesan priests and 11 regular clergy, and 69,102 inhabitants, all Catholic (1948).