CAJAZZO, DIOCESE OF. — On the border between Molise and Campania. Cajazzo is the ancient Calatia, an Oscan city successively occupied by the Etruscans, the Samnites, and conquered by the Romans, of whom it became a municipium; Cicero (Epist., I. III) recalls its customs and traditions. It was devastated by the barbarian and Saracen invasions. Justinian donated it to the Abbey of Montecassino, from which it was later taken away to be incorporated into the Duchy of Benevento and then into the Norman kingdom.
While legend traces the evangelization of Cajazzo back to St. Peter or St. Priscus, the origin of the diocese of Cajazzo is chronologically uncertain. The first bishop whose name is known is Aloisio, of uncertain date, who is said to have been succeeded by a Gisulfo; but the regular series of bishops begins only with Orso, elected in 966, whose name is recorded in a privilege of 967; he was followed by St. Stephen Menicillo, patron saint of the city. St. Ferdinand of Aragon was the sixth bishop of this series. Among the most notable prelates were Fabio and Ottavio Mirto Frangipane: the former attended the Council of Trent and served as nuncio in France, Flanders, and Germany. He was responsible for the establishment of the seminary (1564), later enlarged in 1633 and 1770.
In 1818, Cajazzo was united with the Diocese of Caserta by Pius VII and became a collegiate church. In 1852, Pius IX re-established the diocese, as a suffragan of Capua.
Numerous are the Roman ruins, including statues, a cistern, and remnants of a theatre. The city has a Lombard castle and Renaissance portals and tombs. The Cathedral, ruined in 1185, was rebuilt and embellished in 1284; to its ancient title of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was then added that of St. Stephen. The church of the Annunciation has a marble portal from the 15th century.
Among the ancient convents of Cajazzo and its diocese are: St. Francis (12th century), later suppressed; St. Mary of Graces (1496) of the Observant Friars Minor, later of the Capuchins; St. Cross of Montis Bernae (10th-11th centuries) of the Benedictines until 1521, then a benefice; St. Mary of Jesus of the Augustinians (suppressed in 1652); St. Mary Annunciation of the Dominicans, founded in 1400 and suppressed in 1652; Benedictine hospice at Villa Sclavia.
The diocese has: 35 parishes, 51 diocesan priests, and 32,500 inhabitants, all Catholic (1948).