LUND.— Ancient city, former diocese, once Danish territory, passed to Sweden in 1658; situated at the intersection of the main road crossing Scania from southwest to northeast, called in the Middle Ages Londinum Gothorum.
The diocese was founded in this center where coinage was struck in 1060, and the primitive wooden church was dedicated to S. Maria Minore. Around the year 1080, Canute, King of Denmark, laid the first stone of the new cathedral. In 1103, L. became an archiepiscopal see and metropolitan center for all the Nordic countries (Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden). The cathedral, dedicated to S. Lorenzo, began to be modified and enlarged. In 1123, Archbishop Ascario consecrated the high altar of the crypt, and in 1145, Archbishop Eskil