TRASONE, CEMETERY OF. — It is first mentioned in the Deposizione dei martiri on 29 November, because in the open air of this cemetery the martyr Saturninus was buried (v.).

TRASONE, CEMETERY OF — Detail of a Veiled Orans (first half of the 4th century) — Cemetery of the Vigna Massimo.
In addition to Saturninus, many other martyrs are recorded in the Martyrologium Hieronymianum as buried in this cemetery. Mauro is listed in the Hieronymianum on 12 August, 29 November, and 10 December as “Thrasonis Mauri.” Pope Damasus composed a poem in his honor at the martyr’s tomb, calling him “innocent boy” (A. Ferrua, [V. BIBLICA.], p. 186). Chrysanthus and Daria also had a poem written by Damasus on their tomb, as attested by Gregory of Tours (In gloria martyrum, 37: ed. MGH, Script. rerum Merov., I, p. 512), who in turn depends on the Passio (BHL, 1787). The compiler of the Verdun collection copied a poem above the tomb of Chrysanthus and Daria that recalled the devastation wrought by the Goths (A. Ferrua, [V. BIBLICA.], p. 187). The two martyrs Chrysanthus and Daria appear in the Hieronymianum on 12 August with the simple topographical note “Romae”; on 29 November with the note “Romae Aarsonis” for “Thrasonis,” and on 20 December preceded by an “alibi.” The same Martyrology records a group of 70 soldiers on 12 August, 120 on 25 October with the note “quorum nomina soli Deo cognita sunt et positi sunt in cimiterio Trasone”; 72 on 29 November “in cimiterio Aarsonis,” evidently for “Thrasonis.” Damasus placed a poem in honor of 62 martyrs at their tombs.
A. Ferrua [V. BIBLICA.], pp. 184–86). On 11 December the Hieronymianum itself lists the “natale sanctorum martyrum Thra-sonis Pontiani Praetextati et aliorum multorum”; Delehaye has shown that these are not names of saints but eponyms of cemeteries (Étude sur le Légendier Romain, Brussels 1936, p. 55). Unfortunately, none of the tombs of these martyrs has yet been identified, beginning with the basilica of St. Saturninus.
Antonio Bosio recounts that near the ruins of a church, in the place commonly called S. Citronina for St. Saturninus, on the left side of the Via Salaria, in 1594 he found “the aforementioned ancient passage by which one descended from the said church into the cemetery; there is a staircase that descends very deep... This descent has its vault and ceiling entirely of stucco, worked with various foliage, vines, and grape clusters.” Bosio also found another entrance in the vineyard behind the church ruins and became convinced “that this cemetery was of great extent”; he recalls having found paintings and silver lamps with the sign and some alabaster columns (Roma sotterranea, Rome 1632, p. 488).
Marangoni distinguished two regions: one consisting of the group of galleries already seen by Bosio, the other discovered by him, where the inscription of Severa from the year 269 was found, which was the origin of Fr. Lupi’s dissertation (v.). Work begun in 1872 to build a small building led to the discovery of this region; G. B. De Rossi recognized the text of a Greek inscription already read by Lupi near the inscription of Severa; he also found inscribed in the plaster of a loculus the inscription of a “Macdonius exorcist from Katolika,” read by Marangoni; decorated tombs with paintings, loculi with graffiti, a fragment of a metrical inscription, a white glass crater with a crown and in raised Greek letters “...IIIE ZHCAC”; a large glass disk with birds and fruits. Among the notable epigraphs were those of “Fortunata vives in Chre(s)to,” of “Sozon Bedectus” with the wish “Berus (for Verus)” inspired (spiritum tuum accipiat) in peace et pet(at) pro nobis; of “Caldecore benedicta in X.” Among the painted tombs were brought to light those of Marciana, Metellina Rufina, Grata, two large orants, a charioteer, a warrior, and the arch of Silvestra.
G. Wilpert distinguished under the name Trasone that cemetery region on the left side of the Via Salaria, of which a solid painted arch remains (Pitture, p. 314 and plates 163, 2; 164, 2), and gave the name “catacomb beneath the Vigna Massimo” to the cemetery region on the same road, seen by Boldetti, Marangoni, and recognized by G. B. De Rossi (ibid., pp. 314–15, plates 62, 1; 120, 122, 1; 145, 146, 1; 174–76; 183, 1; 204, 212).