VANNICELLI CASONI, LUIGI. – Cardinal, b. Amelia 16 Apr. 1801, d. Rome 21 Apr. 1877.
Canon of St Peter’s in 1829, he became in 1835 vice-commissioner of the four Legations with residence in Bologna and, in 1838, vice-chamberlain of the Holy Roman Church, governor of Rome, president of the tribunal of government. Among the dispositions issued by him in these offices, noteworthy is that on passports and on surveillance at the gates of Rome.
Cardinal in 1842, and legate in Bologna, he gave proof of prudence and wisdom, meeting with the favour of the populations. He had restored the Sala Farnese, the church of S. Michele in Bosco and embellished the building of the Academy of Fine Arts. During his presidency (from 1845) of the Congregation of the Census, he published (1850) the results of the various agrarian measures of the Papal State, in the metric system, in 9 vols. On 1 July 1849 he was called to form part, with Cardinals Altieri and Della Genga Sermattei, of the Commission of Three Cardinals to prepare the return of Pius IX to Rome.
Pius IX, in 1850, appointed him archbishop of Ferrara, where he carried out notable pastoral activity. Besides the pastoral visitation, he promoted preaching missions in the towns of the diocese, revived the University emulating the zeal of Cardinal Riminaldi, and continually attended to communal and private schools. While seeking to moderate forms of apostolate, he was a courageous herald of the Catholic press, which he supported with energy and vigour. During the cholera epidemic of 1855 and the flooding of the Po in 1872, he carried out unceasing works of assistance, generously providing for orphans, widows and families of the stricken, visiting personally the poor dwellings, the great hospital and the lazzaretto, and placing his house at Sabbioncello at the disposal of the homeless.
In 1851 he was in Vienna bearing a letter from Pius IX to Francis Joseph, and by the same Pope he was, in 1870, named pro-datary, though continuing to govern the archdiocese of Ferrara.