CITTÀ DELLA PIEVE, DIOCESE OF. — In Umbria, in the province of Perugia. The ancient Castrum plebis in fact belonged to the vast diocese of Chiusi, from which it separated when it became an independent see in 1601, by Clement VIII, who also granted it the title of city. It is now a suffragan of Perugia.
Subject to Pope Martin V (1417–31) of the Papal States, it was later placed under his direct rule and annexed to the legation of Perugia in the reorganization of 1816.
Noteworthy is the Cathedral, a Romanesque-Gothic building of the 11th–12th centuries but with a Baroque interior. It is the birthplace of Perugino (Pietro Vannucci, 1446–1523), who left some of his works there, such as the Epiphany, a fresco from 1504 in S. Maria de’ Bianchi, and several panels in the Cathedral.
The diocese covers an area of 350 km²; it comprises 33 parishes, 47 priests, and 45,000 inhabitants, all Catholic (1948).