MISSIONARIE DEL SACRO CUORE DI GESÙ

MISSIONARIES OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS. – Religious institute founded by St. Francesca Saverio Cabrini on 14 Nov. 1880 at Codogno with the approval of the bishop of Lodi, Msgr. Gelmini. The beginnings consisted of an elementary school with an attached boarding school, and in separate premises about fifteen orphan girls were accommodated. On 12 Aug. of the following year, the same bishop approved the Constitutions.

In 1882 a house was founded at Grumello, in 1884 at Milan, and in 1887 at Rome. On 12 Mar. 1888 the Holy See recognized the new Institute and issued the decree of praise. In 1889 Msgr. Corrigan, archbishop of New York, invited Cabrini to go to America to open in his metropolis a school and an orphanage for the children of Italian emigrants. To Cabrini, who aspired to the missions in the East, Leo XIII pointed out the West as the field of her activity; thus she crossed the ocean and at West Park opened the first house. To this crossing many others followed in the subsequent years both to North and South America, where numerous houses were founded. Thus there arose in Italy, America, and elsewhere schools, kindergartens, orphanages, hospitals, day nurseries, and recreational centres where the sisters devoted themselves to works of charity. In July 1907 the Institute and the Constitutions, updated by the foundress, were definitively approved. True to the spirit of Cabrini, the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart devote particular care to the children of Italian emigrants, following in this the example of their foundress justly called the Saint of the Emigrants.

At present the Institute consists of 3,000 religious in 84 houses, of which 7 are in Argentina, 1 in Australia, 5 in Brazil, 4 in China, 2 in France, 3 in England, 25 in Italy, 2 in Nicaragua, 2 in Spain, and 35 in the United States.

BIBL.: anon., *La madre Francesca Saverio Cabrini*, Torino 1928; anon., *Cinquant'anni di vita*, Roma 1930; anon., *L'istituto delle M. del S. C.*, Milano 1931. Silverio Mattei

MISSIONARIES OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS. – The Institute was founded at Hiltrup (diocese of Münster) in 1899 by Fr. Umberto Linckaus, of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. The bishop of Münster approved it on 6 Feb. 1900 together with the Constitutions. From its very beginning it remained under the direction and guidance of the German provincial of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, who acted as episcopal delegate. On 13 Aug. 1904 it received the Baptism of Blood: five sisters were cruelly massacred by the natives of the mission at Rabaul.

The decree of praise was issued on 27 Feb. 1933 together with temporary approval of the Constitutions, followed by definitive approval on 2 Feb. 1950.

The special purpose of the Institute is to collaborate, in a suitable and fitting manner, in the propagation of the Catholic faith, especially in the missions, and to assist spiritually their neighbour through the education of youth, the service of the sick and the destitute, and other similar works.

The mother-house is at Hiltrup. The Institute experienced remarkable growth. In 1949 there were 1,600 sisters and 52 novices, distributed in 126 houses.

BIBL.: Arch. S. Congr. dei Rel., M. 1932. Agostino Pugliese

MISSIONARIES OF THE MOST HOLY SACRAMENT AND OF THE IMMACULATE MARY. – The Institute was founded at Granada by Maria Riquelme of Jesus, who served as its superior until 1930. In 1896 it was canonically erected as a diocesan institute; in 1909 it received the decree of praise and in 1912 that of approval together with temporary approval of the Constitutions.

The generalate was transferred first to Barcelona, then to Madrid, and later back to Granada. On 2 Aug. 1938 the definitive Constitutions were approved, despite there being only four houses and 45 professed sisters. The special purpose of the Institute is perpetual adoration of the Most Holy Sacrament, teaching, even gratuitously, the young, and missionary apostolate among the sick.

In 1948 there were 124 sisters, 30 novices, distributed in 16 houses.

BIBL.: Arch. S. Congr. dei Rel., B. 74. Agostino Pugliese