TOURNUS

TOURNUS. - Abbey formerly of St. Valerian, later of St. Philibert, in the department of Saône-et-Loire in France, diocese of Autun.

Article illustration

St. Valerian at the Castrum Trinocriense (Tournus) appears on September 15 in the Gallican additions to the Hieronymian Martyrology, and a legendary *Passio* places him at the time of the martyrs of Lyon, Epipodius and Alexander (BHL, 5245, 8487-89). The basilica erected over his tomb gave rise to the abbey (Gregory of Tours, *In gloria martyrum*, 53). In 875, the monks of Noirmoutier settled there under the threat of the Normans, bringing with them the relics of St. Philibert, whose name the abbey then took; in 1627 it became a collegiate church and lost its abbatial title in 1785.

The church of St. Philibert is one of the finest examples of Romanesque art, in which vestiges of the original 9th-century building remain in the lower part of the narthex and in the crypt; this building was sacked in 937. After the church was rebuilt, it suffered a fire in 1008; a third building was constructed immediately afterward by Abbot Bernier in 1019, but the work was completed only in the following century, and the consecration was performed by Pope Callixtus II in 1120. The façade is decorated with a Lombard-style arcade and is flanked by two square towers; the narthex is divided into three parts by four large circular pillars. A 14th-century fresco depicts the Crucifixion. The interior is divided into three naves by circular pillars of pink stone, and the vaults are of white stone alternating with colored stone. The baptistery chapel was added in 1330 and shows remains of a fresco with the Last Judgment. In the right aisle, in a chapel, an ancient cedarwood statue of the seated Virgin with Child is preserved. In the crossing rises a lantern with a dome. The chapel to the north of the transept is dedicated to St. Ardagno. The ambulatory has radiating chapels, and in the central one are the relics of St. Philibert. Beneath the choir is the crypt with Romanesque columns and capitals; here the tomb of St. Valerian is venerated. In the vault, a fresco depicts Christ in Majesty with the Virgin and Child.

To the right of the narthex are the chapel of St. Michael and the remains of the 11th-century cloister of St. Ardagno. The church is surrounded by the ancient monastic buildings, and in the house called the treasury, the *Musée bourguignon* has been established, containing furniture, utensils, and costumes from the regions of Mâcon and Bresse. Further on is the abbatial residence (1471-98) in Flamboyant Gothic style, and the chapter house erected by Abbot Berard (1239). At the center of the Roman *castrum* is the ancient church of St. Marie-du-Châtel, built in the 12th century and restored in the 14th and 15th centuries; today it is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, preserves a Romanesque portal and a square bell tower. Characteristic is the construction in *opus spicatum* of the ancient chapel of St. Lawrence.

The ancient Romanesque church of St. Valerian (1008-1028) has been transformed into a festive hall.

There is also the Greuze Museum, founded in 1867, containing prehistoric, Gallo-Roman, and barbarian antiquities, sculptures, and paintings; four rooms are dedicated to the artist J. B. Greuze (1725-1805). In the town hall, the Library is preserved with about 20,000 volumes, many of which were from the abbey; among the notable manuscripts is that of Ermenato from the 9th century. T. has a *Société des Amis des Arts et des Sciences*, which has been printing its *Mémoires* since 1900.

BIBL.: Cottineau, II, cols. 3188-89; J. Virey, *L'église St. Philibert de T.*, Paris 1932; Ch. Darel, *Le vieux T.*, Tournus 1934; E. Mâle, *Les voûtes de la chapelle haute de l'égl. abbatiale de T.*, in *Bull. monumental*, 98 (1939), pp. 73 ff. Enrico Josi