CHIOGGIA, DIOCESE OF. - A city in the Venetian lagoon south of Venice, founded on two main islands and several smaller ones. It is the Clodia fossa of Pliny, the Clugia of the Middle Ages.
In 452, the inhabitants of Este and Monselice took refuge there. It was occupied by the Goths, then by the Lombards; it was devastated in the 9th century by King Pepin, and later by the Genoese. It took a fierce part in the war between Genoa and Venice from 1378 to 1381.
The diocese covers an area of about 1,000 sq. km. and has a population of 150,000, all Catholic; it comprises 47 parishes, 100 diocesan priests and 21 regular clergy (1948). It is a suffragan of Venice.
The origins of the diocese are uncertain. Among its bishops are remembered the Dominican Marco Medici (1578), theologian of the Council of Trent, and his successor G. Fiamma (1584), a skilled orator. The cathedral dates from the 11th century, but in its present form it was reduced by B. Longhena (1663-74); the patrons are SS. Felix and Fortunatus. Other churches include S. Domenico, rebuilt in the 18th century, that of the Most Holy Trinity, the Romanesque church of S. Nicolò; S. Andrea with a Romanesque bell tower, the oratory of S. Martino (1392) with an octagonal dome and panelled decoration. Vedi Tav. XCV.