LE MANS, DIOCESI DI

LE MANS, DIOCESE OF. - A city and diocese in the Sarthe department of France.

Covering an area of 6,244 km², it has a population of 412,214, of whom 375,391 are Catholic. It comprises 401 parishes served by 485 diocesan priests and 120 regular clergy, a major and minor seminary, and has 6 male and 33 female religious communities (Ann. Pont., 1951, p. 243). It is a suffragan of Tours.

It is the ancient Vindunum, capital of the Cenomani, and later a Roman city. In the 9th century, a book of episcopal acts was compiled in the curia of Le Mans, covering the period from St Julian to Alderic (832–837), under the title *Actus pontificum Cenomanis in urbe degentium*. There are also six episcopal catalogues: the first and third extend to Bishop Gervasius (1036–55); the second and sixth to Guido (1135); the fourth to Maurice (1216–1311); and the fifth to William (1145–87). The most venerated saint in the Merovingian period was St Victor, bishop of Le Mans (d. 490), in whose honour a basilica was erected, mentioned in the 7th century, adjacent to which stood another dedicated to St Julian. An imperial document of 832 mentions two dependent monasteries (A. Poncelet, in *Analecta Bollandiana*, 22 [1903], p. 156). During the episcopate of Alderic, the relics of the bishops Victor, Julian, Turbius, Pavatius, and Liborius were translated to the cathedral.

Legend attributes the original cathedral to the site of a Roman defender’s residence, later enlarged and transformed by Bishops Victor and Innocent (533–539), who dedicated it to SS Gervasius and Protasius, placing their relics beneath a new altar. After its distribution at the end of the 8th century, Bishop Francon and St Alderic rebuilt it, but it was destroyed by fire during a Norman invasion.

Rebuilt again by Bishop Mainard (951–970), it suffered further damage. New foundations were begun by Bishop Vulgrin in 1060, continued by Bishop Arnold and Hoël, who consecrated it on 17 October 1093, transferring the relics of St Julian. In 1110, the central nave was rebuilt by Bishop Hildebert under the direction of the monk John of the Abbey of the Holy Trinity at Vendôme. Twice devastated by fire, repairs were undertaken by Bishop William de Passavant (1145–87). A new choir was erected by Bishop Amelin (1217–54). The transept was begun at the end of the 14th century but completed only in 1430. Cardinal Philip of Luxembourg, bishop of Le Mans from 1477 to 1507 and again from 1509 to 1519, erected a sumptuous lectern adorned with many statues and bas-reliefs, destroyed by the Huguenots in 1562.

Of great importance are the stained-glass windows: the oldest depict scenes from the life of Christ and the patron saints of the cathedral (12th century), followed by allegorical scenes with portraits of donors and benefactors (13th century), such as Cardinal Fillastre, René I, and Louis of Anjou, King René and Marie of Blois, and further scenes from the New Testament (15th century; cf. E. Hucher, *Calques des vitraux peints de la cathédrale du Mans*, Le Mans 1864). The choir stalls, carved with scenes from the life of Christ and allegories, were mutilated in 1768 and 1830, removed in 1855, and are now housed within the sacristy. Notable also is a large aedicula for the public breviary. Among the monumental tombs inside the cathedral are the tomb of Queen Berengaria (13th century), transferred in 1821 from the ancient Abbey of Épau; the tomb of Charles of Anjou, Count of Maine (1472), attributed to F. Laurana; and that of William of Bellay (1557). Originally, two imposing towers stood outside; William the Conqueror had asked Bishop Hildebert to demolish them as they dominated the castle; the northern one no longer exists.

The portico was erected in 1158; on the tympanum of the southern portal is a representation of Christ between the symbols of the Evangelists and censing angels, with scenes from the New Testament in the vault, and the twelve Apostles on either side of the portal. Other notable churches include:

Notre-Dame de la Couture (Cultura Dei), an ancient Benedictine abbey founded by Bishop St Bertrand (6th century), sacked by the Normans, rebuilt several times, and in the 10th century by Abbot Gauzbert. The choir, containing five chapels, was modified in the 15th century. Beneath the choir is a crypt where St Bertrand was interred. The characteristic shroud of the saint is preserved in the sacristy. The exterior portal features the scene of the Last Judgment and statues of the Apostles. The adjoining abbey buildings now house part of the prefecture, a museum (which preserves the tomb slab of Geoffrey Plantagenet), and a library rich in 500 manuscripts and over 50,000 printed works (A. Ledru, *Église de Notre-Dame de la Couture*, Le Mans 1924).

Another abbey was that of SS Vincent and Lawrence, founded by St Donnolus (559–581), who was buried there; it too was destroyed by the Normans and restored in the 11th century (R. Triger, *L'abbaye de St Vincent du Mans, sa reconstruction au XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles*, in *Revue historique du Maine*, 4 [1924], pp. 173–220). St Julian, now Notre-Dame du Pré, erected in 586, is an ancient Benedictine nunnery, restored in the 18th and 19th centuries. A 14th-century bas-relief depicts the translation of the relics of St Julian. St Peter de la Cour (10th–13th centuries) was the ancient castle chapel, now used as a vocational school.

Notable figures from Le Mans include Fr. J. Bonnet (1665–1752), a missionary in Siam and China, and the Benedictine Don William (v.).

BIBL.: Eubel, I, p. 187; II, p. 139; *Gesta Aldrici Cennamnicae urbis episcopi a discipulis suis*, ed. R. Charles and L. Franger, Mamers 1889; G. Busson and A. Ledru, *Actus Pontificum Cennamnis in urbe degentium*, ibid. 1901; R. Latouche, *Essais de critique sur la constitution des Actus Pontificum Cennamnis in urbe degentium* (857–1255), in *Le moyen âge*, 20 (1907), pp. 226–477; L. Duchesne, *Fastes épiscopaux de l'ancienne Gaule*, II, 2nd ed., Paris 1910, pp. 312–44; A. Ledru and G. Fleury, *La cathédrale*